Farmdrop “the Ethical Grocer” represents a new economic approach to food retailing whereby the benefits of cutting out the middlemen are shared between customers who enjoy fresher, healthier food at lower prices and smaller-scale producers who enjoy best-ever trading terms. Our mission is to Fix The Food Chain and provide “better food all round”, something we plan to do by providing the best food retail experience for everyone.
Our tech team
We're "agile with a small a" - we do daily standups, we pair when it makes sense to pair. It's a pragmatic process that's working well for us, but we're tweaking it all the time and you would be part of that. We generally "do the right thing" (TDD, constant refactoring, pairing, pull requests and so on) but the need to deliver features quickly stops us from being dogmatic.
Our tech stack/environment at the moment is based around:
Whilst our existing stack is mostly based around a couple of Rails monoliths, we are currently moving towards an event sourced microservices architecture based on Kafka and GraphQL. We currently use Ruby/Rails backends and SPA front ends by default but we choose the right tool for the job if we need to break that pattern.
As a key member of a small, fast-moving company, you will have a lot of autonomy, creativity and impact, getting involved at all levels of the product lifecycle. We're constantly evolving our product, building key features and taking big decisions that will affect the business for years to come. You would be a central part of moving our software stack forward at every level, working in a small team of capable and friendly developers who love building great software. If we can promise anything, it's that you'll learn a lot!
- Experience with Ruby, Java or other OO or functional programming languages would be beneficial
- Comfortable with Node.js applications
- Some framework/library experience ideally with React/GraphQL but others including Ember.js, Dojo, Angular, Backbone, RequireJS, jQuery would also be relevant
- Development using front-end layout and application frameworks:SCSS, React storybook/design systems, Bootstrap/Bulma/Zurb
- Have an appreciation for UI/UX
- Agile experience with Scrum/Kanban
- Experience with agile engineering practices such as TDD, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, automated testing and deployment, Trunk based development, Evolutionary Design, Domain Driven Design
- Experience with Microservice Architectures would be beneficial
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure (AWS)
We pay a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Free lunch cooked daily by our on-site chef
Friday office drinks (with amazing food of course)
Enhanced Parental Leave
Mind and Body Training Benefit (you can use this for gym, skills classes, yoga etc)
Cycle to work scheme
Up to 2 days paid per year for volunteering/charity work
On top of this, we love hanging out with each other and always have cool and unique socials, Friday beers & nibbles to wrap up the week. We have a trendy new office based at Old Street which has many convenient transport links.