Principal Software Engineer
Farmdrop are looking for a talented, collaborative, experienced and creative Principal Software Engineer to help move the business forward. We have strong investors who share our mission to fix the food chain.
Farmdrop represents a new economic approach to food retailing whereby the benefits of cutting out the middlemen are shared between customers who enjoy fresher, healthier food at lower prices, and smaller scale producers who enjoy best-ever trading terms. Our mission is to Fix The Food Chain, something we plan to do by providing the best food retail experience.
Our Engineering Team
We believe in collaborative, agile and lean ways of working. We continually optimise our system of work (as one size does not fit all). We use small teams, pair, make use of TDD/BDD.
We are on a journey from a monolithic architecture to a microservices event-based future which has which yielded a rapid change in our practices within the team. We share knowledge openly within the team with a collaborative approach across the entire company.
We are looking for a seasoned Principal Software Engineer who has experience across a number of technologies and worked with teams at various evolutionary states. You will report to the CTO and will have line management responsibility for ~20 engineers.
- You will need to be comfortable as a leader and mentor of your fellow engineers, who often ask you for advice and guidance.
- You must be a team player, who works collaboratively to achieve the shared goals. We are looking for someone unafraid to challenge aspects outside your direct remit and passionately champion ‘the right thing’.
- You will believe in continuous delivery, continuous integration, instrumentation and telemetry and the benefits that they bring.
- You'll need to have experience leading teams at different levels of maturity getting the benefits from these methods while understanding that context is everything.
- You must feel comfortable working in an architectural domain, at ease debating delivery priorities with our Architecture team and Product Managers.
- You are an expert in software engineering, but don’t over engineer or build for a re-use that never happens.
- You understand that real change happens by continual improvement of our practices and principles.
Other things we value:
- A thirst for knowledge and mastery continuously improving your skills and keeping a breast of the latest technologies and techniques
- A great understanding of Kanban, Scrum, XP, Lean and other methods.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of software engineering practices such as Continuous Delivery, TDD, DDD, Pair Programming, instrumentation and telemetry.
- Knowledge of DDD.
- Experience of Android, IoS, web and server side development
- Contributions to open source projects.
- A willingness to experiment with, and drive the adoption of, new technology and approaches that might help us.
- A willingness to take responsibility (currently everyone deploys to production, everyone fixes urgent bugs).
- An ability to manage, lead, teach, and learn from, others and to work collaboratively.
- An ability to provide coaching and mentoring where required.
- An ability to work with non-technical staff to understand and refine complex requirements.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
As a key member of a small, fast-moving company, you will be empowered to use your creativity to have impact, getting involved at all levels of the product life cycle. We're constantly evolving our product, building key features and setting the direction that will affect the business for years to come. You would be a central part of moving our software stack forward at every level, working in and nurture a team of capable and friendly developers who love building great software.
- We pay a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
- Share Options
- Free lunch cooked daily by our on-site chef)
- Friday drinks (with lots of nice food of course!)
- Food freebies
- Enhanced Parental Leave
- 25 days Annual Leave
- 20% off all food and drink through Farmdrop
- Cycle to work scheme
- Up to 2 days paid per year for volunteering/charity work
- Mind and Body Training Benefit (this is an allowance you can use towards gym membership/yoga/educational classes etc)
On top of this we love hanging out with each other and always have cool and unique socials. We have a shiny new office based at Old Street which has many convenient transport links.