Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
Farmdrop is growing quickly. We're looking for a talented, experienced, sensible and creative Senior Ruby Developer to help lead the business forward. We have strong investors who share our mission to fix the food chain.
Farmdrop represents a new economic approach to food retailing whereby the benefits of cutting out the middlemen are shared between customers who enjoy fresher, healthier food at lower prices, and smaller scale producers who enjoy best-ever trading terms. Our mission is to Fix The Food Chain, something we plan to do by providing the best food retail experience.
Our tech team
We're "agile with a small a" - we do daily standups, we have a scrum board, we pair when it makes sense to pair, and we've burned all gantt charts. It's a pragmatic process that's working well for us, but we're tweaking it all the time and you would be part of that. We generally "do the right thing" (TDD, constant refactoring, pairing, pull requests and so on) but the need to deliver features quickly stops us from being dogmatic.
Our tech stack at the moment is based around:
As a key member of a small, fast-moving company, you will have a lot of autonomy, creativity and impact, getting involved at all levels of the product lifecycle. There's very little in the way of donkey-work - we're constantly evolving our product, building key features and taking big decisions that will affect the business for years to come. You would be a central part of moving our software stack forward at every level, working in a small team of capable and friendly developers who love building great software. If we can promise anything, it's that you'll learn a lot!
Ideally, you are an experienced Ruby Developer with proven expertise in building world-class e-commerce solutions.
Other qualities we prize are:
- A willingness to experiment with, and drive the adoption of, new technology and approaches that might help us.
- A willingness to take responsibility (currently everyone deploys to production, everyone fixes urgent bugs).
- An ability to think creatively.
- An ability to teach, and learn from, others and to work collaboratively.
- An ability to provide leadership and mentoring where required.
- An ability to work with non-technical staff to understand and refine complex requirements.
- A track record of efficiency and self-discipline.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a startup would definitely be a big plus.An appreciation and enthusiasm for Farmdrop's vision of making the world a slightly better place.
- We pay a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. It's not what you'd get working for a bank, but on the plus side... you won't be working for a bank :-)
- Share options
- Free lunch cooked daily by our on-site chef
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Flexible working arrangements
- Up to 2 days paid per year for volunteering/charity work
- On top of this we love hanging out with each other and always have cool and unique socials, the last one involved making our very own vodka! Our annual Farm Camp is a big success too, 24 hours of eating, drinking and generally having lots of fun with each other, all in one of our own farmers marquees in the countryside.
- We value diversity at Farmdrop, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital or disability status.